For over 250 years, the Methodist people of Dublin have been committed to providing shelter, support and care to the most vulnerable in the city. DCM has been expressing that commitment for over 120 years. The social ministries have grown, making a positive contribution through high quality services and safe places.
The first Methodist gathering on Abbey Street was in 1747 (at the current site in 1821). The building was deconstructed and re-built to its present form and opened for use as a Methodist Church in 1902. Over time, it has been extended and renovated to house the growing needs of the organisation. In the 1960's Abbey Street became the city centre base for the Dublin Central Mission. The church has a shared history with the development of Lower Abbey Street and is an integral part of its nineteenth century streetscape. Sharing historic events with the people of Dublin it survived bombardment in 1916 and its Minor Hall was damaged by the 1972 Talbot Street bomb. Not only is the church part of the architectural and cultural heritage of Dublin, it continues to minister to some of the most disadvantaged people in the city.
DCM operates four areas of ministry, situated in five locations across Dublin city and county, all with a mission to Welcome, Serve and Support those who need it most.